Am I Eligible for Citizenship through Immigration?

Home > Blog > Am I Eligible for Citizenship through Immigration?

Am I Eligible for Citizenship through Immigration?

Becoming a lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder) has many benefits, and this is the status that places you on track to become a United States citizen, which is a dream for many who become Green Card holders. At Kriezelman Burton & Associates, we routinely help clients in the Chicago area obtain citizenship through immigration.

Obtaining U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization

Naturalization is the process by which a noncitizen not born in the United States applies to become a U.S. citizen. The process starts with the completion and submission of a N-400 Application for Naturalization. However, before submitting your application, it is important to first know whether you are eligible, and even if you are eligible, there are other factors that may cause your application for citizenship to be denied. An experienced citizenship lawyer can help you in addressing any issues that may stand in the way of your application being approved.

Most people seek naturalization as citizens on the basis that they are Green Card holders. To be eligible on this basis, meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Be at least 18 years old when you submit your Form N-400.
  • Show you have been a Green Card holder for at least five years, but a lesser period may be proven for certain classes of applicants, such as military members and their families and certain spouses of U.S. citizens.
  • Show continuous residence in the United States for at least five years immediately before filing your Form N-400.
  • Demonstrate that you have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 30 months out of the five years immediately before the date you file Form N-400.
  • Demonstrate that you have lived for at least three months in a state or USCIS district with jurisdiction over your place of residence. (If you are an F-1 student and financially depend on your parents, you can submit your N-400 application where you go to school or where your family lives).
  • Demonstrate that you are a person of good moral character and that you have been so for at least five years immediately before the date you submit Form N-400.
  • Show an attachment to the ideals and principles of the U.S. Constitution.
  • Be able to speak, write, and read basic English.
  • Have an understanding and knowledge of the fundamentals of the history and government of the United States (civics) and
  • Take an Oath of Allegiance to the United States.

Please note certain applicants are exempt from taking the English test for naturalization because of their age or the length of time they have been Green Card holders. Those exempt on this ground can also take the civics test in the language of their choice.

Although the naturalization process can be straightforward, it is always a good idea to consult an experienced naturalization to make sure that everything is in order and that there are no surprises that could result in the denial of your application.

Learn How an Illinois Immigration Lawyer Can Help

If you are in the Chicago area and are thinking about applying for citizenship or are wondering if you are eligible to apply, contact our office today to discuss how we can help you. Kriezelman Burton & Associates can advise you of your immigration options.