Can a Green Card Holder Sponsor a Child Over 21?

Home > Blog > Can a Green Card Holder Sponsor a Child Over 21?

Can a Green Card Holder Sponsor a Child Over 21?

Navigating the complex terrain of immigration law is a challenge all immigrants face. However, with the right guidance and understanding, it is possible to make your dreams of family reunification a reality. At Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC, our commitment to providing aggressive and professional legal representation in all areas of immigration and nationality law has helped thousands secure lawful visa status in the United States. In this blog, we delve into the process of green card holders sponsoring their children over 21.

Key Immigration Terms

Firstly, let’s define some key terms:

  • Green card: This is an identification card that proves an individual’s permanent resident status in the United States. It gives them the liberty to live and work in the country permanently.
  • Sponsorship: This refers to the process of a green card holder petitioning for a family member, such as a child over 21, to obtain a green card and become a lawful permanent resident.
  • Child: In the context of immigration law, a child refers to a biological or adopted child who is unmarried and under the age of 21.

Legal Requirements for Sponsoring a Child Over 21

To sponsor a child over 21, certain legal requirements must be met:

  1. The green card holder must be a U.S. citizen or an authorized permanent resident.
  2. The green card holder must have the financial resources to cover the costs of the sponsorship.
  3. The child must be unmarried and over the age of 21.
  4. There must be a qualifying relationship between the green card holder and the child.

Limitations and Challenges

While pursuing this route, potential sponsors might encounter certain limitations and challenges:

  • Inadmissibility issues: If the child or the green card holder has certain criminal convictions, health conditions, or other factors that make them inadmissible, it may affect the sponsorship process.
  • Waiting times: The process of sponsoring a child over 21 for a green card can take time, and there may be waiting periods involved. This can be a source of frustration and uncertainty for both the sponsor and the child.
  • Financial requirements: As the sponsor, you will need to prove that you have the necessary financial resources to support your child once they become a permanent resident. This may involve providing evidence such as tax returns or financial statements.

Recommendations and Next Steps

It is advisable to consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can provide legal guidance on the specific requirements, documentation, and steps involved in the sponsorship process. At Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC, our attorneys have years of experience in immigration law and are able to assist individuals and businesses with their immigration challenges.

Sponsoring a child over 21 as a green card holder is possible and within reach. However, it requires an understanding of the legal landscape, patience, and the right legal representation. If you believe you qualify to sponsor your child over 21, we invite you to contact us to schedule a consultation to review your specific case with complete confidentiality. Together, we can make your dreams of family reunification a reality.