Buffalo Grove Employment Immigration Attorney

Home > Buffalo Grove Employment Immigration Attorney

Buffalo Grove Employment Immigration Attorney

The United States holds many opportunities for individuals that wish to enter the country to work. In order to work in the country, an individual must obtain a work visa, of which there are many different types available. The type of work visa a person applies for will depend on the type of job they wish to seek in the United States, and their own qualifications. Anyone wishing to enter the United States to gain employment should first speak to a Buffalo Grove employment immigration attorney.

Types of Work Visas Available

Work visas allow individuals to remain in the country on a temporary basis so they can gain employment. These visas are not permanent and although many can be renewed, they are not meant to allow people to remain in the country permanently or indefinitely. The length of time a person will work in the United States should be clearly stated within the employment contract or the visa application. There are many different types of work visas a person can apply for including:

  • H-1B visa
  • H-1B1 visa
  • H-2A visa
  • H-2B visa
  • H-3 visa
  • I visa
  • L1 visa
  • P-1 visa
  • P-2 visa
  • P-3 visa
  • R-1 visa
  • TN visa
  • O1 visa

A Buffalo Grove employment immigration attorney can advise on which type of work visa is best for a specific situation.

Qualifying for a Work Visa

To qualify to work in the United States, individuals must meet three preconditions. These preconditions include:

  • A job offer in the United States: Before applying for a work visa, individuals should already have a job offer in the United States. The employer will need to provide many documents and few individuals can enter the country without a standing job offer in place.
  • File petition with USCIS: An employer must file a Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before a worker applies for a visa. The USCIS then needs to approve this petition, and only after they have done so can a person apply for a visa. It is also important to understand that a USCIS approval does not automatically mean a visa will be granted. The U.S. Embassy may still deny a worker a visa.
  • Department of Labor Approval: Certain work visas require approval from the Department of Labor (DOL). This approval should be obtained even before the USCIS approves the employer’s petition, and the employer also must apply to the DOL and show that they have a need for foreign workers. To do this, they must show that they have positions that cannot be filled by U.S. workers. 

Along with these requirements, there are also many documents needed to obtain a work visa, such as a valid passport from the worker’s home country. An attorney can ensure workers trying to obtain a visa have everything they need before applying.

Our Illinois Employment Immigration Attorneys can Help

The United States holds many opportunities for foreign workers, but these visas are not always easy to obtain. If you would like to gain employment in the United States, call our Buffalo Grove employment immigration attorneys at Kriezelman, Burton & Associates, LLC. We understand the many requirements you must meet, and we can help you through the process. Call us today or contact us online to schedule a confidential meeting with one of our attorneys.