Chicago Employment Immigration Attorneys

Home > Chicago Employment Immigration Attorneys

Chicago Employment Immigration Attorneys

U.S. immigration law allows foreign-born workers to come and work in the United States, but only after they and their employer have complied with strict legal requirements. If successful, the prospective foreign worker is issued with either a temporary work visa or an immigrant visa based on their prospective employment. However, many who apply for this type of work visa or migrant visa are denied. At Kriezelman Burton & Associates LLC, our Chicago employment immigration attorneys help clients to successfully apply and obtain these difficult-to-obtain visas. We also take cases in Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

Employment-Based Immigration

Our law firm has experienced attorneys who work with employers to meet their legal immigration needs, especially in helping these companies that have foreign-born workers to obtain authorization to work in the United States. These employers know they can count on our years of experience handling a variety of immigration cases, including some of the most complex ones related to employment-based immigration or visas.

A foreign worker can obtain authorization to work in the United States from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by either obtaining a temporary work visa or by applying for an immigrant visa.

Non-Immigrant Visas

A non-immigrant visa is issued to someone who wishes to come and work in the United States but on a temporary or fixed period. These types of visas are usually utilized by foreign investors and professional workers, especially those in the entertainment industry and medical fields. However, there is a wide range of these visas, but the most common ones are:

  •         H Visa. These are visas available for individuals coming to work in a “specialty occupation,” which is generally defined to be work that requires some specialized knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.
  •       L-1: Intra-Company Transferees. This is a visa for an individual who plans to come to the U.S. to work at a branch, subsidiary, or affiliate office of the company in a role that requires specialized knowledge or is in a managerial or executive capacity. 
  •         O-1 Visa. The O-1 visa is for an individual who has extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and has been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements.
  •         J-1 Waivers. This is an application to have the government waive a requirement for an exchange program participant from returning to their country for two years before being eligible to apply to work in the United States.

Immigrant Visas

Our attorneys assist employers intending to bring foreign workers to work for them in the United States through the permanent labor certification/PERM process. This is a process that, if done successfully, would result in the foreign worker obtaining a green card based on their labor certification.  The process is available for the immigrant visas:

  • EB-11: Immigrants of Extraordinary Ability
  • EB-12: Outstanding Professors and Researchers
  • EB-13: Multinational Executives and Managers
  • EB-2: National Interest Waiver

Learn More from a Chicago Employment Immigration Attorney

If you are an employer or a foreign-born individual who is interested in obtaining any of these employment-based temporary or immigrant work visas, contact our office to talk to one of our attorneys. Although we are based in Chicago, we also take cases in Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan.