Chicago Immigration Attorney

Home > Chicago Immigration Attorney

Chicago Immigration Attorney

The immigration system in the United States is notoriously complex and challenging to navigate. It can also be an emotional process, regardless of whether the person applying for immigration status is approved or denied. The two ways to obtain legal status in the country are to obtain a green card or apply for a visa. While this may sound simple, there are many different options, and submitting an application is not always easy. A Chicago immigration attorney can walk you through the process and give you the best chance of success with your application.

Green Cards

A green card gives an individual permanent legal status in the United States, but it is not easy to obtain. Immigration law in the country is complicated, and even seemingly simple application processes have a great number of exceptions that may affect a case. Even a small mistake could result in a denial and require the applicant to start the process all over again. If you would like to apply for a green card, there are three different types for which you can apply. 

The first type is a family-based green card. The Immigration and Nationality Act states that these are available to people who have certain relationships with citizens of the United States. These include immediate relatives, spouses, unmarried children over the age of 21, married children, and siblings. 

People who wish to come to America to work can obtain an employment-based green card. In order to obtain this type of green card, individuals must:

  • Have a job offer waiting for them in the country, 
  • Invest in an industry that creates jobs in the country, 
  • Demonstrate an extraordinary ability, 
  • Obtain a National Interest Waiver, or 
  • Have a job that fits into a particular category

Refugees and asylum seekers can also obtain a green card. Refugees must start the application process within one year of arriving in the United States. Asylum seekers can apply one year after their asylum status has been granted.


Visas do not grant a person permanent legal status, but they can help individuals remain in the country. There are many different types of visas, including:

  • F & M Visas: Individuals that are going to school in the country can apply for these visas, of which there are several different types. 
  • Spouse Visas: As the name would suggest, these visas are available for individuals that are married or engaged to United States citizens.
  • U-Visas: These visas are available to individuals who have been a victim of a crime and can help law enforcement with the investigation of that crime.
  • Employment: Individuals wishing to work in the United States can apply for either an immigrant-based visa or a non-immigrant based visa.

These are just a few of the different categories a person may fall into when applying for a visa. In total, there are approximately 185 different types of visas. An immigration attorney can help determine which type is most appropriate for your specific situation.

Our Illinois Immigration Attorneys can Help With Your Application

Whether you are applying for a green card or a visa, our Chicago immigration attorneys at Kriezelman, Burton & Associates, LLC can help. We understand the immigration system in the United States and can advise on which type of residency you should apply for, and then help every step of the way with your application. Call us today or contact us online to schedule a meeting with one of our attorneys.