Cook County Citizenship Attorney

Home > Cook County Citizenship Attorney

Helping Those in Cook County Become U.S. Citizens

The citizenship process might seem straightforward. After all, the U.S. government publishes a website that describes the process and even includes links for the forms you must submit as part of your application. However, there are plenty of traps for the unwary, and risk-averse foreign nationals would do well to hire an experienced attorney to help them. With a Cook County citizenship attorney by your side, you give yourself the best chance to become a U.S. citizen.


The process by which a non-citizen becomes a citizen is called “naturalization.” Generally, the basic requirements for becoming naturalized include:

  • Have a green card for at least five years (at least three if filing as a spouse of a citizen)
  • Maintain an active and continuous presence in the U.S.
  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be able to speak, read, and write basic English
  • Have good moral character

Those eligible can then apply to go through the naturalization process which includes an application and an interview. Applicants also must show that they have a basic understanding of U.S. civics and demonstrate a belief in the U.S. Constitution’s ideals.

Other Paths to Citizenship

Naturalization is not the only way to become a citizen. Foreign nationals who serve in the U.S. military may also apply for citizenship if they have served during active conflict or during peacetime.

Children born to U.S. citizens can also achieve citizenship. Often, issues arise when their parents are living out of the country at the time of birth. Nevertheless, some children can receive citizenships, especially if they show that their parents’ ties to the U.S. were strong. We have helped many clients obtain citizenship by showing that they meet the requirements.

Heading off Problems Before They Arise

If citizenship is your ultimate goal, then you need an attorney who can help identify problems and correct them before you apply for naturalization. For example, some green card holders inadvertently commit immigration violations or other acts that cast doubt on their moral character. By hiring a citizenship attorney, you can correct course before you jeopardize your green card.

Preparing the Application Properly

No one should apply for citizenship without having their application at least looked at by an attorney. Too many applicants make simple errors that can result in a rejection or delayed processing. In fact, one complaint we hear is that the naturalization process takes too long. Unfortunately, many of these people also make mistakes or leave out vital information, which slows the process.

Ideally, you will have a Cook County citizenship attorney fill out the application for you so that you can put your best foot forward. At Kriezelman Burton & Associates, we can collect all the information you need so that you submit a complete application the first time. We will also help you avoid making any misrepresentations that could cost you citizenship.

Attending the Interview

The interview is a vital part of the application process. Many clients become nervous and, as a result, might appear untrustworthy or evasive. This is not the impression you want to make with an immigration official.

For that reason, we will gladly attend the interview and help you respond to any concerns that the interviewer has about your application. Even if you are confident that you have submitted a stellar application, having an attorney by your side can bring comfort and calm nerves.

Hire a Cook County Citizenship Attorney

The attorneys at Kriezelman Burton & Associates have decades of combined experience representing clients in all facets of the immigration process, including applications for citizenship. We are experienced in identifying problems and fixing them so that your application goes as smoothly as possible.

To find out more about how we can help, please reach out to us today. We offer potential clients a free, confidential consultation where they can ask any questions that they have. To schedule your meeting, please call 312-332-2550 or submit an online message.