Cook County Employment Immigration Attorneys

Home > Cook County Employment Immigration Attorneys

Cook County Employment Immigration Attorneys

The United States holds many opportunities for foreigners who wish to obtain employment within the country. Employment immigration law, however, is complex. There are many different ways to obtain employment as a non-citizen and it is important that you apply for the right type of employment visa so you give yourself the best chance of securing the work visa you need. A Cook County immigration attorney can help you navigate the process and give you the best chance of working in the United States.

Employment for Those Who Wish to Immigrate

If you intend to immigrate to the United States so that you can permanently live and work in the country, you must apply to become a legal permanent resident through an employer. While not all employees entering the country for work must be sponsored by an employer, this is a requirement for most. These work visas are limited with only a certain amount being issued each year. To qualify for these types of work visas, you must meet the requirements within that category.

  • EB-1: These visas are available for individuals with extraordinary abilities, such as people that have won an international award. Recognized professors, multinational executives, and researchers are also included in this category. Individuals applying for this type of work visa can self-sponsor, so there is no requirement for an employer sponsor.
  • EB-2: Individuals with an advanced degree, such as a Masters or a doctorate, or with an exceptional ability can apply for an E-2 visa.
  • EB-3: These visas are available for professionals, skilled workers, and other workers.
  • EB-4: Employees and former employers of the United States government that worked abroad can apply for these work visas, as well as foreign nation religious workers.
  • EB-5: Also called the investor visa, these work visas are available for individuals that enter the United States to create job opportunities for several other people within the country. 

Although the number of these visas is limited, you can check the Department of State’s website to determine how many are currently available.

Employment for Non-Immigrants

Sometimes people wish to work in the United States, but they do not want to remain permanently in the country. These individuals still need a work visa, although these differ from those for intending immigrants.

  • E-1 – Treaty Trader: These visas are available to individuals who wish to remain in the country for two years at a time. As long as the individual continues to qualify for this visa, there is no limit to the amount of time someone can remain in the country.
  • E-2 – Treaty Investor: E-2 visas also allow a person to remain in the country for two-year periods. Like the Treaty Trader visa, the E-2 visa requires a treaty between the United States and the country from which the person moves.
  • L-1 – Foreign Subsidiary: These visas are valid from three to six years. They are available for individuals working overseas who wish to enter the U.S. to work for a subsidiary of their company.
  • H1B – Professionals: Individuals who work in a specialty occupation can apply for these visas. 
  • B – Professionals: These visas are intended for individuals who wish to enter the country for a short time, such as for a work conference. Applicants must be otherwise admissible to the country.
  • TN – Professionals: These visas are only available to citizens of Mexico and Canada who wish to work in the United States for a period of one year, although these visas are renewable.

An attorney can advise on which type of visa is most applicable to your specific situation.

Call Our Illinois Employment Immigration Attorneys Today

At Kriezelman, Burton & Associates, LLC, our Cook County immigration attorneys are committed to helping individuals that wish to work in the United States obtain the right visa for them. If you need help navigating the immigration system or completing your application, call us today or contact us online to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.