East Chicago Family Immigration Attorney

Home > East Chicago Family Immigration Attorney

East Chicago Family Immigration Attorney

Living in the United States is a dream for millions of immigrants, but for those who have family back home, it is also very challenging. If you have family living outside of the United States and have gained lawful permanent resident status or citizenship, you can sponsor those family members and bring them into the country. The family immigration process is a complicated one, and one mistake could hinder the chances of success for you and your loved ones. An East Chicago family immigration attorney can help you navigate the process and give your family the best chance of a positive outcome.

The Petitioner and Beneficiary

When sponsoring a family member to come to the United States, you are known as the petitioner and your loved one is the beneficiary. To petition for a loved one to come to the country, you must have lawful permanent resident status or be a citizen of the United States. 

The family member you want to bring into the country is known as the beneficiary. If your loved one has a spouse or children they want to bring into the country, they may qualify as derivative beneficiaries. 

Immediate Relatives vs. Family Preferences

Relatives who you want to bring into the United States will fall into one of two categories. The first is the immediate relative category. These individuals include your spouse, parents, and children that are not married. The Immigration and Nationality Act does not place any limit on the amount of these visas issued every year.

Family members that do not fall into the immediate relative category are considered family preferences. Unlike visas for immediate relatives, there is a limited number of family preference visas issued every year. The limited amount of visas available also means there is a backlog when processing these applications and so, it will likely take your loved one longer to secure their visa.

Applying for a Relative’s Green Card

To sponsor a family member to enter the United States, you must first file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. Within the form, you will establish that you and your loved one have a family relationship. After the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approves the petition, your loved one can then apply for a green card. The time it will take for your loved one to receive their green card will vary depending on if they are considered an immediate relative or a family preference. If your loved one is a family preference, a priority date is set, which will establish your loved one’s status in the queue of people receiving a green card.

Our Illinois Family Immigration Attorneys can Help With Your Petition

It is difficult to be separated from your loved ones. Fortunately, immigration law in the United States allows you to bring them into the country if you are a lawful permanent resident or citizen. Sponsoring a family member comes with some challenges, though, and our East Chicago family immigration attorneys at Kriezelman, Burton & Associates can help. We will ensure that your petition is filed correctly, so you can reunite with your loved one as soon as possible and assist with every step of the process. Call us today or contact us online to learn more about how we can help.