Evanston Employment Immigration Attorney

Home > Evanston Employment Immigration Attorney

Evanston Employment Immigration Attorney

The United States provides the opportunity for many people to enter the country and realize the American Dream. If you want to enter the country for work purposes, you have two options. You can obtain either a temporary work visa or an employment-based green card. A temporary work visa will allow you to stay in the country for a certain period of time. Employment-based green cards, on the other hand, will provide you with lawful permanent resident status. 

Not everyone is eligible for either a temporary work visa or an employment-based green card. An Evanston employment immigration attorney can help you determine if you should apply for a visa or green card, and help you navigate the process.

Common Employment-Based Visas and Green Cards

Regardless of whether you are applying for an employment-based visa or a green card, there are a number of ways you may enter the country. The most common types of visas and green cards available for people who want to enter the U.S. for work are as follows:

  • L-1 visa
  • E1 or E2 visa
  • H-1B visa permits available for temporary workers with certain skills
  • H-2B visa permits available for workers in non-agricultural industries
  • H2-A visa, for individuals classified as a seasonal agricultural worker
  • EB-1 green card
  • EB-2 green card permit
  • EB-3 green card permit
  • EB-4 green card permit
  • J-1 visa permit, which is an exchange visitor permit

Any foreign national can apply for the above employment-based visas and green cards. The right one for you will depend on the type of work you perform, and how long you want to remain in the United States.

How to Qualify for a Work Visa

Before you can work in the United States, you must meet three conditions. They are as follows:

  • A job: Prior to applying for a work visa, you must have an existing job offer in the country and your employer must provide supporting documents.
  • Filing a petition: Most immigrants that want to work in the country must have their employer submit a Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before they apply for a visa. You can then only apply for a visa if the USCIS approves the petition. Even the approval of this government agency does not automatically mean you will receive a visa.
  • Approval from the Department of Labor: Some visas require approval from the Department of Labor. 

While meeting these requirements is important, you and your employer must also submit several documents, such as a valid passport.

Call Our Illinois Employment Immigration Attorneys Today

America holds many opportunities for those that wish to work here, but obtaining a visa is not always easy. If you wish to move to the United States for work purposes, our Evanston employment immigration attorneys are here to help. At Kriezelman, Burton & Associates, LLC, our skilled attorneys understand the requirements you must meet, and we will help you do it. Call us today or contact us online to schedule a consultation with one of our skilled attorneys.