Family Immigration Attorney Near Me

Home > Family Immigration Attorney Near Me

A Naperville Immigration Lawyer Can Help Your Family

Immigration matters concerning families are especially complicated given both legal issues and the high emotional stakes involved. At Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC, we are committed to reuniting families by assisting both United States citizens as well as lawful permanent residents who are seeking to obtain immigrant visas for their family members. When you are dealing with family-based immigration cases, it is important not only to have a clear understanding of the visa requirements for the person seeking to immigrate to the U.S., but also to understand who, within the United States, can petition to bring a family member here.

Under current federal law, family members living within the country who are either U.S. citizens or are lawful permanent residents (have Green Cards) may petition for a spouse, a child, or another family member to obtain an immigrant visa. Our firm is dedicated to assisting with your immigrant visa application at every step of the process, from the initial application through any necessary appeal.

Learning More About Immigrant Visas for Family Members

If you are currently a U.S. citizen or a Green Card holder, you may be able to petition for an immigrant visa for a family member who lives outside the U.S. As a fact sheet from the U.S. Department of State explains, the following types of visa categories may be available for family-based immigration petitions:

  • Spouse of a U.S. citizen may be eligible to obtain an IR1 or CR1 visa;
  • Spouse of a U.S. citizen who is awaiting approval of an I-130 immigrant petition (a “Petition for Alien Relative) may be eligible for a K-3 visa;
  • Fiancé or Fiancée of a current U.S. citizen who seeks a visa to live in the U.S. may be eligible for a K-1 visa;
  • An orphaned child to be adopted by a U.S. citizen may be able to receive an IR3, IH3, IR4, or IH4 visa;
  • Certain family members of U.S. citizens may be eligible for an IR2, CR2, IR5, F1, F3, or F4 visa; and
  • Certain family members of lawful permanent residents (or, Green Card holders) may be able to obtain either an F2A or F2B visa.

Petitioning for an IR1/CR1 Visa for a Spouse

If you are a U.S. citizen and are petition for an IR1/CR1 visa for a spouse, what do you need to know about the requirements? It is important to understand the steps in obtaining a visa for a spouse. Generally speaking, you must go through the following steps and meet the following requirements, according to an FAQ sheet from the U.S. Department of State:

  • File a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130);
  • Be at least 18 years of age; and
  • Maintain your principal residence (also known as your domicile) within the United States.

Once these initial steps and requirements have been met, you will need to go through a number of additional steps that involve paying necessary fees, filing an affidavit of support, and providing extensive documentation. There are different steps that are required for different types of family visa applications, and the steps we have mentioned here are only the initial requirements.

Seek Advice from a Family Immigration Attorney in Chicago

Regardless of the type of visa that might best suit your family member (or might be most applicable to your family situation), it is very important to seek advice from a family immigration attorney in Chicago who can assist with your case. Contact Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC today.