Immigration and Naturalization Service Chicago

Home > Immigration and Naturalization Service Chicago

Immigration and Naturalization Service Chicago

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) adjudicates and grants immigration benefits to people who are entitled to stay in the U.S. on a temporary or permanent basis. At Kriezelman Burton, we have experienced immigration attorneys who help clients in the Chicago area to navigate the complex immigration process in obtaining these benefits, which are as follows:

U.S. Citizenship

U.S. citizenship is acquired through a process known as naturalization. This process starts with an eligible person submitting Form N-400 Application for Naturalization. This application, along with supporting documentation, is submitted to the appropriate USCIS office serving the state where the applicant is located or resides. 

To be eligible for citizenship, one must:

  • Be at least 18 years old when filing the application
  • Have been a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) for the past three or five years, depending under which category one is applying
  • Have uninterrupted residence and physical presence in the United States
  • Be able to speak, write and read basic English
  • Have and show good moral character
  • Show a knowledge and understanding of basic U.S. history and government
  • Show loyalty to the principles of the U.S. Constitution; and
  • Be willing and ready to take the Oath of Allegiance.

Authorization to Work and Permanent Residency

Many foreigners desire to come to live and work in the United States. To do this, one must first obtain a visa to enter the United States, which allows them to live and work in the country either on a temporary basis or permanently. If one is only interested in coming for a short-term specific job in the United States, they are given a temporary nonimmigrant visa, which corresponds to their qualifications, and whose eligibility they have been able to demonstrate to the satisfaction of USCIS and the Labor Department.

If one is interested in coming to live in the United States permanently, then they will need to apply for a green card. Obtaining a green card is even more complicated and harder to get than a temporary visa in many cases. However, with the help of an experienced immigration lawyer – as we have at Kriezelman Burton & Associates – you can rest easy and be confident about obtaining a green card or any immigration benefit sought. This is because our experienced lawyers know what is required to file a petition or application that is successful in the end. 

We work with our clients to make sure they have the necessary information and documents but having the necessary information and documents is not enough. Rather, this information and documents must be presented in a manner that makes it easy for an examiner to review and approve without asking for more evidence. 

Contact an Immigration and Naturalization Service in Chicago

If you reside in the Chicago area and have an immigration need, contact our office and schedule an appointment to find out more about us and for us to discuss your case. It does not matter how simple or complicated your case is; we are here to make sure your case or issue is handled effectively and successfully.