Joliet Naturalization Lawyers
Joliet Naturalization Lawyers
Top-Quality Immigration Attorneys Handling Naturalization Issues in Joliet, Illinois
At Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC, our Joliet naturalization lawyers are proud to provide high-quality legal services to immigrants and their families. If you or a loved one is thinking about applying to become a United States citizen, we can help. Please do not delay in reaching out to our legal team to get immediate assistance with naturalization.
Understanding the Timeline for Naturalization
After you have obtained a green card, you cannot apply for naturalization until you have been in the United States for at least five years. When you begin the application process itself, it takes, on average, six months to complete. Though, that is a very rough estimate. The timeline can vary considerably, and it could take far longer in any individual case. Working with an attorney can help you avoid mistakes that lead to long delays.
U.S. Citizenship Eligibility Requirements
To apply for American citizenship through naturalization, you must submit Form N-400, Application for Naturalization to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form cannot be submitted unless you meet all of the basic eligibility requirements for naturalization that have been set forth by the federal government. Notably, these eligibility requirements include the following:
- You must live in the United States;
- You must have obtained your green card more than five years ago;
- You must have acceptable English language proficiency;
- You must possess basic knowledge of civics and history;
- You must be willing to commit to the U.S. Constitution; and
- You must be able to prove that you have shown good moral character.
Tips for the Naturalization Interview
One of the most important parts of the naturalization process is your interview with USCIS officials. To ensure that your application moves forward smoothly, it is critically important that you are properly prepared for your interview. Before attending the naturalization interview, please consider the following three helpful tips:
- Do not go into your interview unprepared. It is best to review your application file and civics information to refresh your memory on all relevant issues.
- Arrive to the meeting on time. If you miss your appointment, you will be forced to reschedule and your application will be significantly delayed.
- Please be sure that all answers that you provide are completely consistent with all documentation that you have offered to immigration officials.
Contact Our Joliet, IL Naturalization Attorneys Today
At Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC, our dedicated Joliet immigration law attorneys have considerable experience handling issues of citizenship and naturalization. If you need immigration law guidance in Kendall County or Will County, please call our law firm today at (312) 332-2550 to request your fully private case evaluation.