Kent County Deportation Defense Lawyer

Home > Kent County Deportation Defense Lawyer

Kent County Deportation Defense Lawyer

Unless you are an American citizen, it is possible that your stay here in America could be cut short by deportation. Many people have visas and green cards allowing them to stay here on a temporary or permanent basis. However, if an immigrant commits an offense, they could be deported, or forced to leave the country.

If you have a removal order on your immigration record, you face deportation at any time. However, there are situations in which a person has a removal order and is not even aware of it. If you suspect that this applies to you, seek help from a deportation defense lawyer right away.

Why am I Being Deported?

A person can be deported for a variety of reasons. In the first nine months of 2018, 191,000 people were deported from the United States. This is a 9% increase from 2017. Almost all of those deported had committed criminal offenses or had ignored previous removal orders. Any crime involving moral turpitude, weapons and drug offenses, fraud, terrorism, murder, rape, and any other felonies can get a person deported.

Besides criminal offenses, a person can also be deported for staying in the country for too long. Immigrants are not allowed to stay past the departure date on their visas. Of course, when the immigrants are here illegally, having no visas because they crossed the border illegally, then they are subject to deportation.

If you do have a visa, you must obey its terms. For example, you may not bring illegal aliens into this country. You may not marry with intent to commit fraud. You may not be allowed to work. If you have an immigration employment visa, on the other hand, you must be employed in order to stay in this country.

Being a drug abuser or addict can also get a person deported. Participation in Nazi persecution or torture are other grounds for deportation. Failure to register as a sex offender is another reason.

Other reasons for deportation include submitting fraudulent paperwork, not notifying U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services of a change in address within 10 days and receiving public assistance. You can not become a public charge within five years of entering the United States, which means that you can not rely on government assistance due to financial need. If you have a green card, your sponsor is on the hook for financially supporting you.

Contact an Immigration Attorney Today

The job of the Department of Homeland Security is to protect America from terrorists and other people who have no right to be in this country. You could face deportation if it is believed you are putting others in danger. However, if you feel your deportation is unjust, you need to act quickly to protect your legal rights.

The Kent County lawyers at Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC can assess your case and prevent your removal from the United States. Our aggressive lawyers are not afraid to go to trial.  Schedule a consultation by calling our office at (312) 332-2550 or filling out the online form.