St. Joseph Employment Immigration Attorney

Home > St. Joseph Employment Immigration Attorney

St. Joseph Employment Immigration Attorney

If you are a company that wants to bring a foreign national to the U.S. as an employee, or an individual seeking come to the U.S. to work, you have to file applications and petitions to achieve permanent residents or a nonimmigrant visa in order to work here.

For more than 40 years, our employment immigration attorneys have been serving as national leaders in assisting businesses and individuals who work in a variety of professions and possess a number of skills to obtain both permanent and temporary work opportunities in the U.S. It is our goal to simplify the many complex nationality and immigration laws and regulations and allow you to do what is necessary for your business and your life. Contact us at our St. Joseph office today to find out more.

Permanent Employment Visas

Employment-based visas are divided into five main categories:

  • First preference (EB-1): Those who qualify as having extraordinary abilities, multinational executives and managers, and outstanding professors and researchers; going through the labor certification process is not required;
  • Second preference (EB-2): Individuals of professions who hold advanced degrees–applicants must have a job offer and employer must complete the labor certification process;
  • Third preference (EB-3): Workers who possess less than two years of experience or training, professionals with a bachelor’s degree, and skilled workers with at least two years of experience–workers must have a job offer and labor certification process must be completed by the employer;
  • Fourth preference (EB-4): “Special immigrants,” which encompasses a number of subcategories such as ministers of religion; and
  • Fifth preference (EB-5): Investors who invest significant funds in U.S. companies; usually divided into those who invest at least $500,000 and $1 million.

Non-Immigrant Visas

Non-immigrant Visas are also available to some health care providers and foreign investors, as well as others, including:

  • E Visas: For foreign investors and treaty traders when the home country has a commercial treaty with the U.S.;
  • H-1B Visas: For specialty occupations;  professionals with at least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
  • J-1 Visas: For exchange visitors typically covering students, teachers, professors, etc.;
  • Q-1 Visas: For those in a cultural exchange program seeking temporary employment;
  • L-1 Visas:  For executives, managers, and other specialized employees transferring to a U.S. affiliate office;
  • O-1 Visas: For foreign nationals with extraordinary ability in athletics, science, business, etc.;
  • P-1 Visas: For artists and athletes;
  • R-1 Visas: For religious workers; and
  • TN Visas: For workers from Canada or Mexico connect with North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) work.

The most common visas we assist clients with include E-visas (treaty traders and investors), H-1B visas (specialty occupations), and L visas (intra-company transferees). Other categories available cover athletes, government workers (such as diplomats), business visitors, tourists, academics, language students, agricultural workers, trainees, broadcasters, people of extraordinary ability in the arts, business, education or science, and religious workers; amongst others.

Contact Our Dedicated St. Joseph Employment Immigration Attorneys

Our firm has more than 40 years of experience assisting businesses, individuals, and others in St. Joseph meet their employment-based immigration needs, and we find our work very rewarding. We treat every relationship with a client as an important, unique one and give it the personalized attention it deserves. Regardless of what your business needs are, or whether you are someone who needs to obtain a work visa, contact our experienced employment immigration attorneys today to find out more about experienced legal services in this area.