Preference Categories for Family Immigration

Home > Blog > Preference Categories for Family Immigration

Preference Categories for Family Immigration

The United States immigration process is not simple. In fact, it often takes many years to complete. Even though it’s a complex process, the U.S. is still a welcoming nation for immigrants and their families. At Kriezelman Burton & Associates, we understand how crucial it is to quickly and efficiently bring your loved ones to this country to be with you. It’s an honor and a privilege to have helped many families bring their loved ones to the U.S. Our Illinois family immigration lawyers have the knowledge and skills necessary to provide high-quality legal representation to immigration clients. We know firsthand how essential our services are to those seeking help with family immigration matters. We work relentlessly to bring families back together as quickly as possible.

What are Preference Categories for Family Immigration?

United States immigration laws provide for some aliens who are family members of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents to become legal permanent residents (get a Green Card) themselves based on particular family relationships. If you are the spouse, minor child, or parent of a U.S. citizen, you should seek further info on how to apply for a green card. An Illinois family immigration attorney can help you with this.

Even if you don’t fit into that category, you should know that other family members are often eligible to apply for a Green Card. Here are the family “preference immigrant” categories:

  • First preference (F1) – unmarried daughters and sons of U.S. citizens who are at least 21 years of age
  • Second preference (F2A) – Spouses and children of lawful permanent residents who are unmarried and less than 21 years of age 
  • Second preference (F2B) – unmarried daughters and sons who are lawful permanent residents and 21 years of age and older
  • Third preference (F3) – married daughters and sons of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth preference (F4) – siblings of U.S. citizens where the citizen is at least 21 years of age 

Suppose you are the spouse or the unmarried child less than 21 years of age of a family-based principal applicant. In that case, you have the option to apply for a Green Card as a derivative applicant. However, you must meet the eligibility requirements and complete the necessary forms. 

Keep in mind that a child can’t petition for their parent unless they are a minimum of 21 years of age. A parent can’t petition for a child if they are married or over the age of 21. If a couple has been married less than two years when a visa application is submitted to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the immigrant will be given two years of “conditional residence” status.

No matter your immigration path or goals, an experienced Illinois family immigration attorney can help you navigate your plans as you work to achieve your goals. 

Illinois Family Immigration Lawyer

Don’t let your lack of understanding or intimidation of the law keep you from being with the ones you love. Instead, reach out for legal help so you can take action on behalf of your family. If you need the professional services of an experienced and knowledgeable Illinois family immigration lawyer, contact Kriezelman Burton & Associates today for your complimentary initial consultation. We assist families with a variety of immigration issues in Chicago, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan.