Spouse/Fiancé Visa

They were absolutely essential in helping me with my immigration process. They kept me informed throughout the years long journey.

Home > Practice Areas > Employment > Non-Immigrant Visas > Spouse/Fiancé Visa

Chicago Spouse/Fiancé Visa Lawyers

Family-based immigration in an important piece of our overall immigration system. If you are an American citizen who is married or engaged to a foreign partner, there are immigration options available. However, navigating this process is extremely complex. It can be frustrating, confusing and all around overwhelming for applicants.

At Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC, we have considerable experience handling marriage-based immigration cases. Our top-rated Chicago spouse/fiance visa attorneys are dedicated to helping our clients find the best possible immigration solution for themselves, for their partners and for their families.

Your Options for Bringing Your Spouse or Fiancé to the United States

K-1 Visas : A K-1 visa (also known as a fiancé visa) can be used to bring your future spouse into the United States. A K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that legally permits the fiancé of an American citizen to come to the U.S. for a 90-day period. During this time, the K-1 visa holder must marry their American citizen partner. Eventually, the visa holder will be eligible to apply for legal status as a permanent American resident. To be eligible for a K-1 visa, the following three basic requirements must be met:

  • The couple must have met within the previous two-year period, or a waiver must be granted by USCIS;
  • The couple must have a legitimate, good faith intention to get married; and
  • The couple must be legally able to marry under U.S. law within 90 days of the arrival of the prospective K-1 visa holder.

K-3 Visas (IR-1 Visa and CR-1 Visa): If you are an American citizen, and you are already married to a foreign spouse, you have multiple options available to bring your partner to the country to live legally. First, you may be able to seek an immigrant visa for your spouse, either an IR-1 visa or CR-1 visa. Alternatively, you can seek legal status for your spouse through the filing of a K-3 visa. The K-3 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that can help to expedite the process in some cases. Specifically, a K-3 visa can be issued in the foreign country where the marriage took place so that the visa holder can come to live in the United States instead of waiting for their immigrant visa to process. This is important because the standard immigrant visa can take an enormous amount of time to go through processing. Once in the United States, the K-3 visa holder will eventually be able to apply for an adjustment of status, through Form I-485.

Contact Our Chicago Immigration Attorneys Today

At Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC, we have extensive experience handling spouse/fiance visas. To learn more about what we can do for you, please call us now at (312) 332-2550 to set up your confidential case evaluation. From our main office in Chicago, we represent clients in Cook County and throughout Northern Illinois.

Our Team Of Attorneys

Schedule a Consultation!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.