Time to Renew Your Green Card? Here is How

Home > Blog > Time to Renew Your Green Card? Here is How

Time to Renew Your Green Card? Here is How

Obtaining lawful permanent resident status, or a green card, is a dream for so many immigrants in the United States. Unfortunately, the legal obligations do not end once a green card is issued. All green cards have an expiration date. Even if your green card expires, you are still considered a lawful permanent resident, but you must renew your green card so you can continue to show that you can work and live legally within the country. It is crucial to understand the steps to take when renewing your green card so you can protect your status.

When to Replace or Renew Your Green Card

The green card design changes every so often, and all green cards will expire at some point. Again, while this does not affect your lawful permanent resident status, it is important to replace or renew your green card so you do not run into trouble with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or other authorities. You must replace or renew your green card in the following situations:

  • Your green card is only valid for 10 years and the expiration date has already passed or is approaching in the next six months,
  • Your card was stolen, lost, or damaged,
  • You obtained a green card that was good for 10 years prior to turning 14 years old, and the expiration date extends past your 16th birthday
  • Certain information on your green card is incorrect, such as your name, date of birth, or the date the card was issued
  • Your green card does not list an expiration date
  • You have obtained commuter status, meaning you live in Mexico but regularly commute to the United States for work purposes

Failing to replace or renew your green card in these situations could cause unnecessary complications, so it is important to know how to do it.

How to Renew Your Green Card

It is typically best that immigrants work with an Illinois immigration lawyer when renewing their green card. In most cases, you will only need a copy of the green card that has expired or is set to expire. If your green card has been stolen, lost, or damaged, you may need additional supporting evidence, which could include:

  • Other forms of government-issued identification
  • A Form I-797
  • Proof that you have been employed for the past six months
  • Documents showing your temporary resident status

The type of proof you may need to renew your green card will depend on your situation. An immigration lawyer can help with your renewal application and will advise on the supporting documents to submit along with it.

Call Our Chicago Immigration Lawyers Today

A green card will provide reassurance to immigrants that they can remain in the country, but it is important to know what is required of you even after obtaining one. If you need to renew or replace or your green card, our Illinois immigration lawyers at Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC, can help. Call us today or fill out our online form to schedule a confidential consultation with one of our experienced lawyers.