Types of Employment Visas

Home > Blog > Types of Employment Visas

Types of Employment Visas

Many people from across the world yearn to come to America for many different reasons, but mostly because of their belief their lives could be for the better if they make it to live and work in the United States. Unfortunately for many of them, however, coming to America remains an elusive dream mainly because getting a visa even for those who qualify is not easy. To improve the odds of getting a visa to visit or migrate to the U.S., it is better to have the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney who can help you navigate the immigration system.

The following are general visa categories under which many make it to the U.S. to live or work here temporarily or permanently:

Temporary Non-Immigrant Visa

These temporary visas are for individuals who intend to come and work in the United States for a specific time after which they intend to return to their native countries. Not all employment qualifies for this type of visa, but in those cases where the visa is available, a potential employer is required to file a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) asking to be given permission to hire the foreign worker. If the petition is approved, then the foreign worker will apply for a temporary non-immigrant visa at a U.S. consulate in their native country.

If the visa application is approved, the foreign worker is given a temporary work visa which authorizes the foreign worker to enter the U.S. and work for the duration of the authorized period.

Examples of non-immigrant visas include H1B, H2A, H3, L, and O visas:

Permanent Work Visa

For certain qualifying jobs, an employer can petition the USCIS to grant a permanent visa (Green Card) for a foreign worker who meets the criteria set by law, demonstrating that the foreign worker has the proper combination of eligibility, education, and expertise to be approved and granted the employment-based Green Card. The government provides only about 140,000 visas in this category, which means even among those who qualify to get the visa, only a few of them will get the visa. The difference may often be as simple as either the employer or the foreign worker not properly packaging and filing their petition or application, a mistake that can be avoided by having the assistance of an experienced immigration lawyer.

Student and Exchange Visitor Visa

These are non-immigrant visas available for students who wish to come and pursue academic studies, vocational training, or educational or cultural exchange programs in the United States. A common type of this visa is F-1, available for those interested in pursuing academic studies. F-1 students are not allowed to work off-campus during their first academic year, but they may seek and obtain on-campus employment during this time if they follow and comply with certain conditions and restrictions. Once they have completed their first-year studies, F-1 students may engage in specifically authorized three types of off-campus employment.

At Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC, we understand the immigration system and know what it takes to obtain any of the various visas available. If you wish to come to America, contact us today for a consultation and we can show you how.