Different Types of United States Employment Visas

Home > Blog > Different Types of United States Employment Visas

Different Types of United States Employment Visas

Citizens of another country who want to come to the United States and work need a visa. There are some visas offered for people who want to come and live in the country, while others are for those who are only looking to stay for their intended contract or assignment. If you have a job, or a job offer, that includes working in the United States, you need to retain a skilled Chicago employment immigration attorney to assist you.

Here is a look at some of the employment visas available:

H-1B Visas

H-1B visas are specialty work visas only issued to citizens of another country who have specialized knowledge and training. This can include professions like engineers or lawyers. If you have professional skills to qualify under an H-1B visa, you are allowed to enter the United States for a temporary job. There are a certain number of these visas issued each year, and current visa holders may also apply for a Green Card.

E-3 Australian Visa

This visa is for Australian nationals who wish to come to the United States on a nonimmigrant work visa. Professions can include lawyers, teachers, or economists, for example. To qualify, the individual must have a master’s degree and a pending job offer in the country.

L-1 Intra-Company Transfer Visa

An L-1 intra-company transfer work visa will allow a foreign national who works for an international company in his or her own country to transfer to a branch of the company in the United States. Only people who are in specialty occupations or managerial roles are eligible. If you are self-employed, you are not eligible for this visa.

NAFTA Work Visas

Mexicans and Canadians who work in certain qualifying professions could be entitled to a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Professional Nonimmigrant visa to the U.S., which is similar to the H-1B visa. You must have a job offer and a higher education degree.

J-1 Temporary Exchange Visa

A J-1 temporary visa is a nonimmigrant visa that will allow someone from another country to partake in a cultural exchange program. To qualify, the person has to be able to support him or herself and must be fluent in English. Positions that qualify for the Exchange Visitor Program include students, nannies/au pairs, teachers, research assistants, and counselors.

R-1 Religious Worker Visa

Someone who wants to work in a religious occupation or as a minister may qualify for an R-1 visa. This is a temporary visa for people who are coming to the United States on a temporary basis to be employed by a religious organization.

O-1 Visas

This is a nonimmigrant visa reserved only for people who possess extraordinary talent. This might be in athletics or something cerebral like science or business. You must show that you have received national or international recognition in your field and supply related documents that evidence these awards.

Retaining a Chicago Immigration Attorney

If you need assistance with an employment-related visa, contact the experienced attorneys at Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC. Contact our office at 312-332-2550 today to schedule a consultation.