My husband was finally able to meet and see his family after ten years. We’ll forever be thankful for their time, dedication and hard work that they put on our case.

Home > Practice Areas > Family-Based

Chicago Family Immigration Attorneys

For many people, relationships with family members are among the most important aspects of their lives. As a result, many United States citizens and lawful permanent residents seek to have family members living overseas come to live and work in this country. Other U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents seek to apply for family members who are already here, who may not yet have status. Fortunately, under United States immigration law, a citizen or the holder of a green card (a lawful permanent resident) may petition to have certain relatives immigrate to the United States and obtain a green card. These relatives may also later be eligible to obtain citizenship through naturalization time if they meet certain requirements.

Who is Eligible for Family-Based Immigration?

The family members that are eligible for family-based immigration depends on whether you are a United States citizen or a lawful permanent resident. The information below outlines which of your family members may be eligible based on your own status:

  • United States Citizens – As a U.S. citizen, you may petition for your spouse, children (whether over or under 21, married or unmarried), parents, and siblings. In addition, you may petition for a specialized fiancé(e) visa in the event that you are engaged to a foreign national living abroad. In addition, some spouses and children are eligible for a K-3 or K-4 Nonimmigrant Visa while a Petition for Alien Relative for permanent residence is pending.
  • Permanent Residents (Green Card Holders) – Individuals who have a green card have more limited options when it comes to family-based immigration petitions. They may file a petition for their spouse, unmarried children under 21, or an unmarried son or daughter of any age.

In addition to the above two categories, individuals who are in the United States in certain other categories may also be able to file a petition for their spouse and unmarried children. For example, refugees and asylees may petition for their spouses and children, and U visa applicants may submit applications for their spouses and children before or after their U visa approval. In all of these cases, there are specific rules that may or may not apply in your situation. As a result, anyone considering filing a family-based immigration petition should consult with a knowledgeable and reputable immigration lawyer.

Contact a Chicago Family-Based Immigration Attorney Today to Retain Legal Counsel

Family members of United States citizens and lawful permanent residents are often eligible to enter the country and obtain a green card or various types of visas allowing them to live and work in the U.S. The laws and regulations regarding family-based immigration are complicated, and there are ample opportunities for complications to arise during the process. Fortunately for people wishing to take advantage of family-based immigration laws, the assistance of an attorney can often help ensure that your case is resolved in the way in which you desire. For over 40 years, the attorneys of  Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC have provided legal counsel and represented the legal rights of people with issues related to immigration law. To schedule a consultation with an experienced and trusted immigration law attorney, call our office today at 312-332-2550. If you would like to contact us via email, please fill out and submit our online contact form available here.

Our Team Of Attorneys

Schedule a Consultation!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.